Photo by Bren Barden
What if I fall?
Oh, but my darling,
what if you fly?
Ever had a dream that awoke a deep desire in you but also brought your deepest fears to the surface? My dream involved standing on a cliff overlooking deep churning turquoise waters below. It seemed so appealing and alluring and I wanted so badly to jump, yet I was scared! I could not possibly survive such a fall...right? I stood on that edge for what seemed like forever, paralyzed with fear, until I heard a whisper "If not now, when?"
I jumped! I woke up! I followed my heart's desire and built a career for myself that was fulfilling while allowing me to be creative at the same time. Photography is my voice, for telling visual stories of amazing people, places and events that inspire me. Most of all, photography allows me to share these stories with you!
In 2014, I honed my photography skills by graduating from the New England School of Photography with double honors in Weddings/Portraits and Architecture.
Now I'm flying!
Photo by Laurence L'Huillier.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
My images are a mix of Editorial, with a twist of Documentary and a dash of Fine Art... a little shaken, not stirred!
I prefer using the beauty of natural light, but I'm also comfortable in a studio setting. I try to steer clear of cheesy poses and trendy Photoshop edits as much as possible. While technique is incredibly important, I believe that emotion is key and that is what I look to capture in each image.
I'm intrigued by images that show life's transient beauty including it's so called imperfections, moments of uncontrollable laughter and heart tugging tears, where people's guards are down and they can simply "be". So whether it's a confession of love, your toddler's tears during a tantrum, a glossy or gritty portrait, or simply a beautifully designed space, I want to tell your stories!
5 THINGS ABOUT ME
Photos by Bren Barden, Laura Knapp and myself.
1. I have lived in Perth (AUS), Boston (USA) and Oahu (Hawaii). For the past 16 years, I've resided in Boston, where I developed a taste for strong "cwoffee" and learned how to parallel park in "wicked" tight spaces.
2. I'm an animal loving, tree hugging vegetarian, passionate about conservation and our environment. My Boston cat Missy adopted me and surprisingly loves Vegemite too! I'm an avid gardener and aromatherapist.
3. I believe in the therapeutic combination of amazing friends, laughter, good food, wine and music! I love red wine (especially Cabernet & Rioja), blue cheese, olives and dark chocolate (just in case you wish to bribe me).
4. I have a deep wanderlust for learning about new cultures and travel. I have visited 13 countries on 5 continents so far and have a long list of places yet to explore. I truly believe we should work to live...not live to work!
5. I have 2 tattoos (so far); the sanskrit word Padma (Lotus) which represents strength, beauty and growth and an ambigram of the word 'Balance', as a reminder of what's important to me.